Saturday, January 17, 2015

Happy New Year!!

Well it feels like it has been about 500 years since I have posted on my blog!! Sometimes that is just how life goes- right? I am excited to be here and I hope to make this a more regular occurrence!! There have been so many exciting things that have happened in our home, mostly just small changes here and there but it will be fun to see how big of a difference those small changes make!

First though- I wanted to focus on what brought me back to blogging.  This new year has me thinking about making life the very best it can be, and doing things that I enjoy. Some really great books have been a guide and have started me on a fun path that I think will assist in my goal :)

As I was browsing at Barnes and Noble one evening I came across this!!   The Weekend Homesteader a really cool book with a month by month guide on how to run a self-sufficient household!




There will definitely be an awesome garden in our backyard this year!!




Another thing we are doing is eating Paleo. If you don't know what that is, it is pretty much clean eating at it's finest! For a long time we have ate pretty clean, but now we have just taken it to the next level. So I have been doing a lot of cooking (which I love) and sometimes it can be really interesting and I find myself making things and using ingredients that I never even knew existed. So you can join me on an experiment that I started today. I am making my very own almond and cashew milk. I first found a book called The Paleo Kitchen and that along with some recommendations from others led me to an amazing blog called PaleOMG, I highly recommend both!! Anyways here is a picture of my experiment…


How fun is that? It has to stay like that for 24 hours so we will have to wait until tomorrow for the results!!! One of the gadgets I have to use tomorrow after the 24 hours is up is called a nut bag. This is one of those things I never even knew existed. It also provided several minutes of inappropriate jokes/laughing in my home :)

So the last item of focus I am brining into this new year is for my sanity (lol- kind of).  I tend to be a worrier, not a warrior which is what someone thought I said one time. They looked at me like I was crazy and I repeated it much slower and then we were on the same page again!! Anyways, back to the worrying- it can be a real issue. What can a girl do? Surprise- it's another book!! That Book of Awakening  is a book that I discovered through my obsession with Oprah magazine. It was in her "things that  have changed my life" or something like that, and if it changed Oprah's life, I'm pretty sure it could be helpful for me too!! It's a really great way to start the day before anyone else is up- grab a cup of coffee and read the devotional for the day. It takes less than 5 minutes!!



Well that ended up being a pretty wordy first blog back!! Thanks for reading and I will be have some fun projects to talk about next time!!

Thank you,
Faith

1 comment:

  1. Faith - great blog! I checked and you can check out the The Book Of Awakening at Gere or Walt libraries, so I have put a hold on one and will check it out when it gets the library I live closest to. Every year for Christmas I ask for (and get or buy myself!) the Daily Guidepost which has devotions. I also subscribe to the Guidepost Magazine. I usually read a few pages of both of these in bed before going to sleep. They help clear my mind of the day's "stuff"! Glad you have a garden each summer. We used to when the boys were young. I'd like to have one again, but Al says he's done with the work it requires for that, so I'd be on my own! I'll have to come visit your garden! Happy New Year! Karen

    ReplyDelete