Monday, November 5, 2012

Make My Menu Monday & a Menu Plan Idea

Monday is here once again and so is Make My Menu!!  Before I get to the menu, I wanted to share a menu planning idea that I found while on Pinterest. It lead me to a website called mom colored glasses- super cute huh? She had a great idea that I think will work for us quite well. I will take you step by step on how I made it work for me!! 

First I got some supplies- Blank business cards, business card pages and I used a fine point sharpie. 

Next I went through all of my meals that I make on a regular basis and labeled one side with the name

And the other side with the ingredients needed and then where the recipe is(which cookbook, recipe box,etc) and the page number if applicable. Then as you pick meals, you can easily make your grocery list.

Then put the cards into the pages and in a binder.

Next this is my Menu Board that I shared a few weeks ago. I had found it at a flea market over a year ago, but had not really had a real purpose, other than looking cute :) So I thought it would make a fun menu board. I found some small close pins and spray painted them red...but it still needed to add something
BEFORE.

So I got out a circle paper punch and punched out 7 circles. Then using some scrapbook stickers I labeled each one for the days of the week.


I just glued each one to a close pin and added my menu for the week and there you have it! 


So here is my menu for this week!

Monday- Roast with potatoes and carrots

With my Roast I keep it simple-
Take a Roast about 3 1/2 pounds
Put it in a slow cooker
Add- 1 cream of mushroom, 1/2 can water and a packet of onion soup mix
Set it on low and let it cook all day!
Add carrots and potatoes with a couple hours left to cook

Tuesday- Shrimp and Sausage with Cheese Grits

This recipe comes from a Cooking Light magazine that I got several years ago. It is a favorite in our household :) I have adapted it slightly to fit our family.

1 lb shrimp- I purchase the already cooked shrimp to save time
1 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 link turkey sausage cut into 1/8 inch slices
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c water


  • Add shrimp, seasoning and pepper to a skillet that is sprayed with cooking spray. Remove shrimp from pan and keep warm. 
  • Return pan to med-high heat. Re-spray with cooking spray. Add sausage, for appx 2 min- until browned. Add reserved shrimp mixture and garlic to pan- cook 1 minute stirring occasionally.
  • Add 1/4 c water, cook 30 seconds, scraping pan
  • Remove from heat, let stand 2 minutes.\

Simultaneously I prepare the grits

1 1/2 c water
1/2 c uncooked quick-cooking grits
1/2 c skim milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp hot sauce
1/4 c grated fresh Parmesan cheese


  • Bring water to a boil 
  • Gradually stir in grits
  • Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes
  • Stir in milk and remove from heat 
  • Add remaining ingredients, stirring until cheese melts

 When I serve this meal I serve the shrimp and sausage on top of the cheesy grits!

Wednesday- Breakfast with Red Potatoes, fruit and yogurt

Cheesy Eggs with sausage-
Scramble eggs add cream cheese and cooked crumbled sausage

Quarter Red Potatoes- then I microwave them for about 4 minutes, just to get them started
Add them to a skillet with 1 TBS of olive oil, Rosemary, salt and pepper
Cook until tender

Thursday Shrimp Wraps with fruit

1 Box of popcorn shrimp
Lettuce
Tomatoes, diced
Shredded cheese
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Ranch

Cook popcorn shrimp according to pkg
Add to tortilla with toppings

Friday BLEATS

It's like a BLT with extras!  
Bacon 
Lettuce
Egg- Fried
Avocado- Sliced
Tomato

Saturday Tacos


Sunday Marinated Baked Pork Chops

1 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS veg oil
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
2 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS ketchup
6 pork chops with bone in


  • Preheat oven to 350
  • In small bowl, blend soy sauce, veg oil, Worcestershire, lemon juice, brown sugar & ketchup
  • Place pork chops in a medium baking dish & spread with 1/2 sauce
  • Bake 30 min, turn & spread with 1/2 of sauce
  • Continue to bake 30 min more


Remember for even more menu ideas check out these blogs as well Organizing Junkie's Blog  and Healthy Branscoms 

2 comments:

  1. I’m stopping by for a visit from Organizing Junkie, Menu Plan Monday.
    Oh yes! I saw the menu plan board on Pinterest too. It's very cute.
    This time of year can definitely add up. I’m working on my shopping lists for this week, looking for sales. We’re not having turkey this Thanksgiving. The choices are pizza or homemade lasagna. We’re turkey’ed out!
    Everything looks so delicious.
    I hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! Sometimes it is fun to do something nontraditional for the holiday meal. We had Tacos on Easter on year :) Have a great week as well!!

      Delete