Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Easy Pancakes and Waffles



Mornings are hectic- there's no getting around it!! When it is breakfast time my kids are ready to eat!! They looooove pancakes and waffles and for a long time I was buying boxes of frozen ones that are already made. It became expensive!! So I decided to try making my own. They were really good and super easy- bonus!!! So I have been making a big batch at a time and freezing them. That way I save money- it literally costs next to nothing to make and I know exactly what is in them. It has been great- In the morning- just put the waffle or pancake into the toaster (I put it on the lowest setting) and they pop up perfect. I will show you what I have found that works the best!





First I cook up a big batch. (I will give you my super easy recipe at the end ) For warming up in the toaster I have found the square waffles seem to fit better. The circle ones are a little too tall.





Once the pancakes and waffles have cooled off I put them in a gallon FREEZER bag. Super important that it is a freezer bag. It would be a bummer for your pancakes and waffles to get freezer burn :( and trust me I speak from experience-
So I line mine up in a row like you see below...











That way I am able to fold them in half and I put them in a storage container, like you see below. Then I put the lid on them and put them in the freezer.


At breakfast time it's super simple- my kids even do it themselves now. Just pull out a couple waffles or pancakes and put them in the toaster. The lowest setting works best on my toaster- but yours might be different. Once they pop up they are ready to eat- well after the butter- or peanut butter in my house and some syrup!



Here is my recipe that I adapted somewhat from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook...
Pancakes-
1 cup Flour- I use whole wheat
1 TBS brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 beaten egg
1 cup milk
2 TBS cooking oil
  • In medium mixing bowl stir flour, brown sugar, baking powder & salt
  • In another bowl combine egg, milk, & oil
  • Add to dry mixture
  • Stir just until moistened
  • Have skillet at 325
  • Pour about 1/4 cup at a time, turning once other side is lightly browned

Waffles-
1 3/4 cup flour- again I use whole wheat
1 TBS baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 3/4 c milk
1/2 cooking oil
  • In medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder & salt
  • In another bowl mix eggs, milk & oil
  • Add to flour mixture
  • Pour about 1/4-1/2 cup of mixture into grid of waffle maker ( you may need to adjust amount depending on your waffle maker)
There you have it!! Let me know what tips you have for making mornings easier!!

1 comment:

  1. I will have to try your waffle recipe... I just haven't been able to find one that is like the eggos that my kids love! When I make them pancakes, I usually make them pumpkin pancakes! They are so delicious and it's a way to incorporate some "veggie" into Aunalie's diet. :)

    Basically, I just add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin to your pancake recipe. It's a little different consistency but still good.

    ReplyDelete