Saturday, March 3, 2012

DIY sewing kits

Crafting makes me happy:) One of my goals for this year is to actually do the crafting projects that I have found and saved from magazine articles and now Pintrest. I am going to feature craft projects that really are easy to do. When I do a craft I want it to be simple and I also like to be able to share it with others, so I love to make gifts. I find that it is the best way to personalize something and make it really special. Luckily for me my mother-in-law enjoys crafting as well and we have been sharing ideas and crafting together!



Here is the magazine article that was our inspiration. It is the sewing kit in the bottom right corner. Started with mason jars, some small spools of thread, straight pins, safety pins, buttons, small scissors, needles, scraps of fabric and poly fiber fill.












Here are the finished sewing kits- super cute!!!!













Here is the lid- the top is a push pin cushion and the inside of the lid is an old magnet cut to size and hot glued, then the needles stick right to it!



































I thought it would be fun to add a label, and who doesn't love a chalk board label? At first we tried to use chalk board paint, it didn't quite work on the mason jars, so I found these chalk board labels from the new home office line by Martha Stewart at Staples. They stuck right on to the jar. The labels worked best with the jars that do not have writing on them, the ones that do have writing just got a paper label attached at the top to finish it off!



2 comments:

  1. Love the magnet for the needles idea! I was planning to make something similar very soon....so great timing! I'm going to implement that idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! They were a fun project and everyone that I have given them to has really liked them :) Thank you for checking out my blog!
      Faith

      Delete